Saturday, October 8, 2011

One More Week: do I have it in me?

In a little more than one week I will be running my very first half marathon. I can't believe it. I am nervous and excited and very afraid that I am not at all prepared. A recent hamstring injury set me back a little bit but I have stretched, iced and strengthened it as best I could and I think it should be fine for the half. The only problem is...I am only up to about 8 miles. I am determined to run 10 miles today even if it kills me. My husband is on toddler duty and I will be back when 10 miles is complete! As for 13.1 in a weeks time? I am just praying that adrenaline, determination and my running buddy, Jess, will help get me to that finish line.

The Girlfriends Half Marathon is taking place in Vancouver, WA on October 16th. Since I am used to running in Central Oregon at a higher elevation, I know that running at sea level will help my lungs get the oxygen they need. I just really hope my body follows suit and my legs can carry me all the way. Having my husband and daughter cheering me on will certainly help, too. I am excited for my daughter to sport her new "Run Mommy Run" shirt that I got her recently. The only thing I wonder is if this race will give me a sense of accomplishment and a new motivation to continue running half marathons (and maybe even a marathon one day!) or if it will knock me down a peg or two, make me feel defeated and confirm my suspicion that I am only a 10k runner. I guess we'll see!

Katie


2 comments:

  1. Colin did the Dirty Half a few years ago and he was told that once you can complete 10 miles, you should be able to finish 13 just fine. You can do it! You'll be so proud and accomplished at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister showed me this blog and I'm so glad! Good for you for doing your first half! I find that miles 10-13 are the worst in every half I've done (about 7 or 8 now), so don't be surprised if you feel like you're running out of steam by then. You'll still make it! If they offer gel shots around mile 9 like one of the halfs I did, just take a little slurp. It really did help boost me. But too much and you might feel sick, especially if you haven't tried it before.

    ReplyDelete