Thursday, January 12, 2012

You Never Regret It

This week has been a rough one. I am working more than my normal .5 and my family feels it. I feel it. I feel rushed at home, short with the girls, and I don't even want to know what my students have to say. Tonight after being away from my littles, I was excited to get home, lace up and join my pal Maggie for a run in the beautiful crisp winter sun. But alas, I came home to two sound asleep children. I texted Maggie that we were probably a no-go for the run, the sun was going to be gone before I had the girls roused, dressed and ready to roll.

My thought process began to speed up, excuse mode on overdrive. I need to baby myself, I thought. I have a headache. I have been away all day. I can't possibly put the girls into the gym's childcare after being gone all day. Plus, I deserve to kick back with some Hulu and get caught up on Parenthood. I'll make myself a yummy dinner, pour a little vino and call it good. And although that sounded like a near perfect evening, there was something in the back of my head telling me that staying in this evening was not going to make me feel the way I wanted to. I knew I needed a good sweat, a hot bath, and some time in my bible. But it was a hard decision...the couch looked so good.

I decided to enlist my three old in the decision making. "Kenze, do you want to go to the gym...today...or maybe tomorrow?"
"Right NOW!!!" she shouted joyfully.
Dang it. I put Addie in her jammies, put on my work-out clothes, grabbed kenze and headed out the door. I tried to rally on the way over there, this is great-go me. But when I walked in and saw the sign "Kids Club Full", I was ready to turn around and call it a night. I don't know why I didn't. Instead I sat down and waited. And waited. And waited. Finally, two little guys strolled out with their mom and I knew we were in.

I dropped off the girls. Jumped on the treadmill and put in 3 fast (for me), hard miles. Done.
And I realized as I got the girls (8 dollars for a half hour run, ouch!) and headed to the car...you never regret it. Truly taking care of yourself, is treating your body kindly. Sometimes that means you have to take a night off and catch up with the Braverman clan...but sometimes it means sweating out all the worry, excuses, hard days, messy house, job stresses and leavin' it all right there.

On to that hot bath and time in the word.


2 comments:

  1. So proud of you Jess! Excuses are to easy to find...I only know that because I find them often too:)! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THIS...so well said. We NEVER regret it. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete