Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Have you seen my motivation?

I'll be honest, I have not exactly been at my finest the past few weeks. I don't think I've said "no" to a sweet treat and I think I have said "maybe later" to most of my plans to workout. Pile on top of that some stressful life issues, a sick daughter and then me getting sick myself. It's no wonder I can't find my motivation anywhere. However, these are all just excuses and things that should be motivating me to get out there and work my booty off (except maybe my own sickness) instead of having the complete opposite effect.

When I was training for the half marathon, I was motivated beyond my imagination. Maybe because I knew if I didn't run and train then I would never be able to complete a half marathon. So I trained. I fit runs in where I needed to, made time even when there didn't seem to be time and nothing else in my life seemed to fall by the wayside. So why now?! Maybe I just always need a goal, something I'm working towards and am constantly being challenged by. I feel like the desire to be fit and healthy should be enough motivation to go around but maybe that's just not the case for me (yet!).

I'm running a Turkey Trot 5k on Thanksgiving morning and my desire is to run it for speed, something I have never done before. This will require training with strength and speed workouts and being consistent so that I am prepared for the race.  Hmmm....3 weeks until Thanksgiving. Time to get my rear in gear. Stay tuned for posts on how my speed workouts are going.

We also have the Holiday Booty Buster Challenge coming up. In all honesty when I first read about it, it seemed complicated and maybe not worth it. But then Jess said she was going to do it and having a buddy alongside to keep me accountable will help a lot and truthfully, I need the HBBC to keep me going through the winter and holidays. I'm not going to say that I will completely give up on the holiday yumminess here and there but I am going to commit to getting back into a regular workout routine and keeping my body fit in preparation for training in the Spring for half marathon #2.

Where do you find your motivation when it seems to be missing? What can you do to challenge yourself?

2 comments:

  1. I think you found the answers in your own post! Setting goals and having a buddy to work through it with, to hold you accountable! I try to set monthly goals for myself and work on them a little at a time. I love having a race to look forward to. I also try to reward myself for following through - whether that's a back massage, bubble bath, or a piece of cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being sick and having a sick kid are good excuses! I think having a blog adds to accountability and motivation. And reading other blogs does the same too! Seems like you and Jess have a great motivating relationship. So cool!! Good luck with the speed! I look forward to reading about it so hopefully that will motivated you to do it??

    ReplyDelete