Thursday, February 23, 2012

Feb race recap

Okay, I don't have the heart to write this again. I wrote a big, long, recap and then I accidentally deleted it. I had to take a whole day to recover...maybe I take my blog posts too seriously?

Anyways, on Sunday I ran my February race. It was a huge PR for me. I did some research about how to run this race strategically, hoping to PR (I deleted the link to those articles when I deleted my post, I will try and see if I can retrace my history to share them because they were really great tools). 

When I woke up Sunday morning I felt sick. My girls have had a chest cold for the last two weeks and it looked as if I was next on the list. My husband gave me a great pep talk and convinced me to go out there and run the race like I had planned. 

It was a great start time (8:40am) and a flat course. My goal was to run the first two miles in a 9:45 pace, the middle two miles at a 9:55 pace, and the last two at 9:40 pace. This went along with some of the tips that were given in the articles I read. 

I made sure I had my Garmin on the correct setting and took off. I checked my pace at mile one and I was at 9:40 but I felt great so I stayed there. The middle two miles I started to feel emotional. I am not sure what it is about running, but I think because I all my energy is going to physical use, I am completely disarmed and can be brought to tears instantly. I don't mean that I am crying because the running is tough, I just get choked up at the thought of running, how happy and lucky I am to run, and maybe even a little proud. Does that happen to you?

Well, anyway, I was a bit misty eyed for the middle portion of the run. I felt good, I was running strong, and I knew I was going to PR in a big way. 

Justin had the girls and made his way around the course, cheering me on at two different spots. Nothing adds a kick like seeing your three year old clapping, waving, jumping and hollering for every runner that passes by. 

The last two miles I sped up. I wanted to cross the finish line tired, knowing I had run this race with all that I had. I started zeroing in on the runners ahead of me. I would pull up beside them, catch my breath a minute and then move onto the next one. I was at a 9:22 pace. I caught up to a gal with knee high socks that read bacon. I gasped out a laugh and turned the corner to cross the blue mats. My Garmin read that I had ran 6.23 miles with my average pace at 9:35. However, my official time according to the chip was 6.2 miles (obviously, it was a 10k) and 9:40 pace...hmmm, has that ever happened to you? Which do you think is more accurate?

Shamrock 15k....you're next!

3 comments:

  1. What a great accomplishment! While I was reading this post, I thought to myself...Jess is giving her daughters such a special gift. When A and M see you run a race, it shows them that you love and respect your body, push yourself to the limit, and don't give up. How empowering and cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! You rocked it. You should feel proud and lucky, what an amazing gift! Great job, best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work! I did that race too! I'd have to say that unfortunately, the chip timer is more accurate unless you accidentally stepped over the starting mat before the race began to trigger it early. I find that my Garmin is mostly accurate but sometimes it will say I'm running a 5:30 pace which can't possibly be true!

    ReplyDelete