Wednesday, December 14, 2011

2 Mile Limit

Just like Jess, I am also in the "in between" in terms of training. I currently don't have anything that I am training for so I am just running for fitness and so that I don't forget how to run. I've been doing fine and meeting my goal of running at least 3 times per week. I usually set out with a goal in mind to run three or four miles, however I am finding it really difficult to get past 2 miles. More often than not, I accept defeat, run 2 miles and call it quits. While running 2 miles is better than not running at all, I just know that I am not going to get any better if I don't push myself.

Yesterday I set out to run 3 miles, probably within the first 5 minutes I started to slowly convince myself that actually running 2 miles would be good enough. I am tired, I have lots to do, so 2 miles would be fine. Then I remembered my feelings about this "two mile limit" that I have been struggling with and just decided I was going to run a familiar route which I was pretty sure was around 3 miles and just head home from there. I made it, ran just over 3 miles and in the end was very happy I pushed myself beyond the 2.

While this break from training is nice and honestly running in the winter is hard and I imagine that winters are always going to be a bit of an "off season" for me, I am looking forward to having a bit more structure and working towards a half marathon again!

Now let's see if I can get out of my head, push my body hard and truly get beyond this 2 mile limit!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Katie - the mental blocks are tough to overcome. Sometimes it helps to run in a totally unfamiliar place...makes it harder to track the distance in your mind. Give yourself a lot of credit for getting those three miles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a really hard time running over 2 miles after I ran my first half marathon too. I don't know what it was, it was like I was just so burnt out.

    I am glad you made it over the 2 mile hump because I know how hard it is!!!

    ReplyDelete